Meeting the mental health care needs of Texans requires critical policy analysis and decision-making. The maze of behavioral health services is complex, making it difficult to understand and difficult to improve.
With the 85th Texas legislative session around the corner, the Hogg Foundation has published the third edition of A Guide to Understanding Mental Health Systems and Services in Texas. This comprehensive resource is designed to help advocates, policy makers, families and individuals prepare for and navigate mental health systems and services in Texas.
In addition to comprehensive summaries of both the Texas and national contexts, this guide provides an overview of the structure and mental health services and supports provided by the following agencies:
- Health and Human Services Commission
- Texas Department of State Health Services
- Department of Aging and Disability Services
- Texas Department of Family and Protective Services
- Texas Workforce Commission
- Texas Department of Criminal Justice and Local Criminal Justice Agencies
- The Texas Juvenile Justice Department and Local Juvenile Justice Agencies
- Texas Education Agency and Local School Districts
- Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs
- Texas Veterans Commission
As a part of the Hogg Foundation’s mission to advance wellness and recovery in Texas, the full guide is available for download.