Fostering greater mental health and well-being for Texans requires critical policy analysis and decision-making. Unfortunately, the sheer complexity of our behavioral health system is one of the biggest obstacles to understanding and improving it.
Just in time for the 87th Texas legislative session, the Hogg Foundation has published the fifth edition of A Guide to Understanding Mental Health Systems and Services in Texas. This comprehensive resource is designed to help advocates, policymakers, families, and individuals prepare for and navigate mental health systems and services in Texas.
In addition to comprehensive summaries of both the Texas and national contexts, this guide provides an overview of the structure and mental health services and supports provided by the following agencies:
- Texas Health and Human Services Commission
- Texas Department of Family and Protective Services
- Texas Education Agency and Local School Districts
- Texas Department of Criminal Justice
- Texas Juvenile Justice Department
- Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs
- Texas Workforce Commission
- Texas Veterans Commission
As part of our mission to transform how communities promote mental health in everyday life, we are committed to sharing information about the policy structures that have a powerful impact on community well-being. For that reason, we have made the full guide available for download.