Communities for Children
In December 2020, the Hogg Foundation received $1.1 million through the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI). The goal of the initiative is to help advance racial equity and support student mental wellness in communities most impacted by COVID-19. Using the CZI funds, the Hogg Foundation designed the Communities for Children initiative.
Communities for Children is born from the recognition that the mental health impact of 2020-21 will be felt for years to come. The COVID-19 pandemic, civil unrest, and the economic recession have hit communities of color the hardest. This has presented new and unexpected challenges for schools, and these challenges are likely to continue and evolve throughout the current school year and beyond. The Communities for Children Initiative addresses systemic inequities and supports schools and organizations working against the tide of poor mental health resulting from the pandemic.
- Brooks County Independent School District (Falfurrias).
- Children’s Grief Center of El Paso (El Paso).
- Communities in Schools of Laredo (Laredo).
- Communities in Schools of the South Plains (Lubbock).
- Communities in Schools of Southeast Texas (Beaumont).
- George Gervin Youth Center, Inc. (San Antonio).
- Golden Crescent Workforce Development Board (Victoria).
- San Benito Consolidated Independent School District (San Benito).
- Texas City Independent School District (Texas City).