Fostering greater mental health and well-being for Texans requires critical policy analysis and decision-making. Unfortunately, the sheer complexity of our behavioral health system is one of the biggest obstacles to understanding and improving it.
As part of our mission to transform how communities promote mental health in everyday life, we are committed to sharing information about the policy structures that have a powerful impact on community well-being.
Just in time for the 86th Texas legislative session, the Hogg Foundation has published the fourth edition of A Guide to Understanding Mental Health Systems and Services in Texas. This comprehensive resource is designed to help advocates, policy makers, families and individuals prepare for and navigate mental health systems and services in Texas.
In addition to comprehensive summaries of both the Texas and national contexts, this guide provides an overview of the structure and mental health services and supports provided by the following agencies:
- Health and Human Services Commission
- Texas Department of Family and Protective Services
- Texas Education Agency and Local School Districts
- Texas Department of Criminal Justice and Local Criminal Justice Agencies
- Texas Juvenile Justice Department and Local Juvenile Justice Agencies
- Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs
- Texas Workforce Commission
- Texas Veterans Commission
2020-2021 Hogg Foundation Policy Priorities
Context for policymakers, advocates and consumers.
85th Legislative Session Summary
Bills passed addressed a wide range of behavioral health needs for Texans.